Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Eating like my kids continued

Yesterday, I ended my Eating like my kids day with a mid-afternoon snack of a handful of baked Cheetos, grapes and homemade lemonade (yes, I actually make my own lemonade. It is actually quite easy). Then for dinner, I made a recipe out of the Sept issue of Cooking Light p. 172 -- chicken pot pie. This was pretty labor intensive for me. Especially given my day -- I had to drop the kids at school, get work done, work out quickly, pick them up, have a snack, do homework, do some more work, take my daughter to her 1st soccer practice (I am the assistant coach), then go and introduce myself to a new prenatal group that I am teaching at the Y -- this was not the right recipe for a day like yesterday. I actually had to have my neighbor come over to turn off the oven for me since I was running late to my daughter's practice. However, it was a very good and healthy recipe and the kids ate it and my husband and I loved it. And bonus, I have enough leftovers for tonight. Tomorrow I will share the nutrition analysis results of my first day of eating like my kids.
As for the homemade lemonade --
-- Squeeze about 6-8 lemons using a hand press directly into my 1.8 L pitcher (cut the lemons into thirds, you get more juice also rolling the lemons on the counter top seems to help)
-- Dissolve a cup of sugar in boiling water (I do this while I am squeezing lemons)
-- Finish filling the pitcher with ice, cold water and the boiled sugar water
Sometimes, I will add some tangerine juice or limes for different flavors and nutrients.

No comments: