Thursday, September 20, 2007

The kid-vegetable challenge

Every night I face the same challenge: getting my kids to eat something green (that grew from the ground). Well, I just found a new product that has made getting my kids to eat veggies easier and the prep time much quicker for me. Birds Eye Steamfresh veggies are ready-to-go, in bite size pieces, frozen vegetables that you pop in the microwave for 5 minutes to steam. Tear open the bag and you're done. Tonight the kids ate the green beans as is and had the mixed vegetables last night. For the broccoli or cauliflower I've thrown a slice of American cheese on top to melt and both my kids gobbled it up. Not only is the prep so much cleaner and easier, since they are steamed right in the bag, they taste just as good as fresh. No worries about freezer burn or ice in a half used bag. What products have you found that make the "kid-vegetable challenge" easier? (Not to mention the "husband-vegetable challenge" I've faced as well. I'll save that for another posting.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the steamable veggies because my 3-year-old loves veggies (a miracle)! But I often feel guilty for buying frozen food. The carbon print of frozen food is higher than other preparations since you have to freeze it and transport it and keep it cold. On the other hand, frozen veggies have more vitamins and nutrients than, say, canned ones. Sigh.

Sometimes I just want to throw my hands up in the air and give up - we've already generated our own landfill of disposable diapers, bottle liners, wipies, etc.