Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fresh, Whole Foods Challenge Menu

OK, I did it. I really had to focus on the foods that I ate and at times had to stop myself and reach for something "fresh." I definitely had to pay attention and think about what I was eating, beyond what I normally think (given my love of food and health, I think about what I eat all the time in terms of balancing foods and what I and my family may be missing). But, yesterday I had a different focus and I ended up eating very healthy. Here are the foods I ate and the nutrition results for the Fresh, Whole Foods Challenge from yesterday's blog --
Breakfast
  • oats and skim milk -fresh
  • orange juice
  • egg - fresh
  • grapes - fresh

Snack

  • raw almonds (fresh) and dark chocolate chips
Lunch
  • light tuna in water and two pieces whole wheat bread
  • spinach salad (fresh) with feta, onions (fresh), pressed garlic (fresh), oil and vinegar
Snack
  • apple (fresh)
Dinner
  • lentils with stewed tomatoes and pressed garlic (fresh)
  • chicken breast, all natural (fresh) made with onions (fresh) olive oil and basil (fresh)
  • steamed brown rice (fresh)
  • skim milk

Out of 23 foods and beverages (I did not count oils/dressings), I ate 16 fresh, whole foods (based on the definition from yesterday's blog). So, about 70% of my food intake was fresh. Here is the analysis of what I ate --2150 calories, 44% carbs, 20% protein, 35% fat (44% of it was monounsaturated fat - the healthy kind), fiber 34 g (the recommended intake is 25 g). All in all, I did really well. Also, my analysis shows that I met or exceeded most nutrients. There were a few that fell below the recommended value but that is OK, because I will make up for those nutrients throughout the week.

Now, challenge yourself and see how you do -- remember, strive for at least half of your food intake to be fresh.

No comments: