Thursday, December 13, 2007

Delish dish in just 10 minutes

It seems like my day has gotten shorter. Although I know that intuitively a day is still 24 hours as it always was, it just feels like I've lost a number of hours somewhere. (And when I say "somewhere" I mean changing diapers, doing infinite loads of laundry, cleaning up spills from under the high chair, fetching milk, water, yogurt, crackers, etc, playing game after game of Candyland, you know what I mean). When it comes time to make dinner I need things that are quicker to make than ever and more importantly, from ingredients that I have in the house. (If I have to run to the grocery store, forget it. I'll just order a pizza.) So, I am thrilled to share my newest recipe creation that takes - get this - 10 minutes! Here's what you'll need to buy in your weekly grocery shopping:
1/2 pound frozen or fresh shrimp
1 bag steam-in-the-bag veggies (Birds Eye SteamFresh Asian mix is what I used - any are fine)
1 bottle of Asian salad dressing (Ken's Sesame Ginger Light is what I used)
Boil-in-bag brown rice (5 or 10 minute)
1 bag frozen edemame or soybeans

Serves 2. (Double ingredients if you want to serve 4.)
First put the water on to boil for the rice. Run 1/2 pound of shrimp under cold water to defrost (or use fresh). Put a saute pan on medium-high heat for the shrimp. Put a bag of rice in the boiling water - when there's five minutes left on cooking the rice throw 2/3 cup edemame into the boiling water with the rice bag. Pop the veggies in the microwave for 5 minutes. Peel the shrimp and throw in the heated pan with 1-2 Tbs of the salad dressing. Cook about 2-3 minutes until shrimp are no longer pink. Everything should be done at the same time. Drain the water from the rice bag and edemame. Divide among two bowls: the rice, the veggies, the edemame, and the shrimp.
Voila - dinner's done in 10 minutes! It's really healthy, too - you've got veggies, whole grains, fish and legumes with just a touch of sodium from the dressing. The portions are a good size - my husband was definitely satisfied with the meal. This one is definitely being added to my rotation.
Gotta run - just heard the cereal bowl being thrown from the high chair!

No comments: