Thursday, December 20, 2007

Exercise a matter of time?

A new study from Wake Forest shows that people who have flexibility at work tend to have better health habits including getting more exercise. The researchers surveyed 3200 workers over the course of a year. Interestingly when a person's work situation became more flexible (from the beginning of the study to the end of the study) certain health habits improved but they were not necessarily more apt to workout. In some cases having more time meant more time to exercise, but for others it seemed not to make a difference.
Of the people that I know who exercise there are two types of personalities. One type would exercise no matter what their work or home situation; this person fits it in early in the morning, late in the evening and on weekends. She makes sure that there is a convenient way to get in her workout. Exercise is a regimen and is scheduled the way that meetings or other important appointments are. The other type of personality exercises when it is convenient but working out tends to fall farther on the list of priorities so may fall off the list altogether. I would say this is the more common personality.
As we approach January 1 and the date of New Year's resolutions including many peoples' vows to exercise more, it would be of benefit to try to become more like the first type of exercise personality - the one that makes exercise like brushing your teeth or taking a shower, something that's a necessary part of the day. Start by finding the time of day that works for you, schedule it in and make it a no excuses must-do. I'm not a morning person, so for me the best time is in the evening after I put the kids to bed and before my husband comes home from work. I have equipment for my home and there's a tv show on at that time, which I enjoy. I tell myself in order to watch it, I have to be on the treadmill or elliptical machine. There's no negotiations.
Flexibility at work, at home or not at all, if exercise is part of the routine, it will surely be accomplished. And when we're talking about seeking weight loss and lifelong weight maintenance, exercise is a necessary component. As your resolution this year, find the way to make exercise a must-do part of your life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty decent post. I just stumbled upon your site and wanted to say that I have in reality enjoyed reading your web site posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

Anonymous said...

Good day I am so grateful І found your web sitе,
I rеally found you by mistake, whіlе I waѕ searching on Yahoo foг somеthing elsе, Regardless I am
heге now and would just like to say cheers fοr
a remaгkable ρost and a all round thrilling blog (I also love thе theme/design),
I don’t have time to browsе it аll at the minute but I have saved it and аlso included your RSЅ feеds, so ωhen I haѵe time I will be back tο read much more, Please do kеep up the
superb work. rippln app store - ripple in a pond poem - rippln mobile

Anonymous said...

Gеnerаllу I ԁo not learn рost on blοgs, but Ι woulԁ lіke to say that thіs write-up verу compelled me to try аnd ԁo it!

Your writing style haѕ bеen surргised mе.
Thank yοu, quite greаt post.

Feel free tο surf tо my web-site :: garcinia cambogia weight loss pictures

Anonymous said...

Hі, і read your blog from time to tіme аnd i οwn a similar one and
i was juѕt curiоus if you get a lot of
spam rеsponseѕ? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you сan recommend?
I get so much lately it's driving me insane so any help is very much appreciated.

my page: sportsbet

Anonymous said...

ӏ am rеallу happy to glance at this website pоstѕ which сагries lots of useful
factѕ, thanks fоr pгοviding thеse κіnds of statiѕtics.



Feel free to vіѕit my sitе ... sportsbet