Friday, April 18, 2008

Chocolate to help you lose weight

There's a great, delicious product that I would recommend to anyone who's been trying to eat well balanced, feel satisfied and keep the calories down - and guess what? - it's chocolate, real melt-in-your-mouth chocolate. Surprised to hear a dietitian say so? Nope, studies show that including small amounts of really satisfying treats in a balanced diet helps people stick to those diets and take off weight for the long term. But my suggestion is not just any run-of-the-mill chocolate, however. I am a big fan of Hershey's Extra Dark portion-controlled, packaged squares. At 45 calories each, you can have one or two without any concern for blowing your diet and believe me you will feel satisfied.
I'm sure you've heard that chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is rich in antioxidants and can have real health benefits, such as decreasing blood pressure. (In fact, studies show just a small amount everyday can have this effect.) The Extra Dark squares contain a hefty dose of the antioxidant flavanols thanks to being 60% cocoa and even have nice amounts of fiber and iron. And if you're worried about the fat and saturated fat in them, don't. Most of it is a kind called stearic acid, which has been shown to have no effect on cholesterol levels, the main concern with saturated fats. Plus, if you're losing weight, which is easier if you can have calorie-controlled, yet satisfying treats, your cholesterol will come down as the pounds come off.
I can practically feel my blood pressure lowering, as I enjoy two squares every day at 3 o'clock with a cup of antioxidant-rich pomegranate flavored white tea. It's such a flavorful and satisfying afternoon lift, it's all I need to hold me to dinner. If I could describe to you how luscious they are - well, you should really just get a bag and give them a try.

No comments: