Friday, May 2, 2008

Nutrition bars are convenient but whole foods still best

I was recently talking to a couple of new patients interested in eating healthier, feeling more energetic and taking off a few pounds. Both had the issue of little time and a constant eating on the run situation. (We moms tend to have the lack of time problem as well.) As with most people, I first discussed the need to eat small amounts every few hours to avoid a binge once the starving signals do kick in. The obvious response to me was, "what am I supposed to eat since I'm always on the go?" I mentioned a bunch of different ideas, including nutrition bars, and they were on their way. (Bellybars were a favorite to throw in my carry-on when I was pregnant and had to fly for work.) The next week when I got their food diaries back, a slew of nutrition and energy bars showed up on their logs, sometimes twice a day!
Whoa, Nelly. While eating nutrition bars is certainly acceptable as a few-times-a-week fill in, one for every snack will leave a gaping hole in a well-rounded diet. Study after study shows that foods, especially whole plant foods, contain nutrients that work together to promote good health and just cannot be accounted for with the fortification in an energy bar. I had to remind my patients that nature makes some pretty convenient foods: apples, bananas, pears, peaches, plums, nectarines. Adding a cheese stick and a bag of nuts makes that snack well-balanced (carbs, protein and healthy fat) and chock full of natural nutrients. It took a tiny bit more planning for them than grabbing a prepackaged energy bar but the benefits make it well worth it. Luckily the next week I saw a lot more whole foods on their food records and just an occasional bar here and there. Next time I'll clarify the frequency for my snack suggestions!

No comments: