Friday, May 11, 2007

Cooking simple

Do I cook? Sort of. I manage to throw together dinner most nights of the week using lots of easy, ready-to-go ingredients. The menu gets pretty repetitive, however. Looking for recipes and then grocery shopping are major drains on my precious time. So I love this new-to-me concept popping up across the country that my friend just introduced me to. The place we went was called Simply Cook It and for a pretty reasonable fee you go and prep up to 12 meals (each serves 4-6 people) in under 2 hours. She and I went for the first time last night and now my freezer is stocked with 12 ready-to-cook dinners. You don't actually cook the food until you're ready to eat it, so everything will taste really fresh and homemade. We had a fun time catching up on girl-stuff and getting a much needed break from the kids, while prepping food that our families will get to enjoy. It's a win-win for everyone. In some cases I deviated from the recipe a bit and cut back on fat or salt to make it a little healthier. Now getting a meal on the table will be much easier and give us a break from the dinner doldrums. Great. I can use the time for something better, like going for a jog in this gorgeous spring weather!

No comments: