Friday, March 21, 2008

Healthier takeout

The last two times we've tried to take the kids out to dinner - they're ages 2 and almost 5 - it's been a disaster. My husband and I ended up tag teaming, where one of us shovels the food in while the other keeps the toddler from standing up on his seat and the preschooler from going under the table. Then we switch so the other can eat. Really not an enjoyable experience. So, our answer has been to do takeout as our treat instead. Since I'm a dietitian, I of course have to think about ways to make the meal the best it can be while still enjoying a night off from cooking. Here are some of my tips:
1) Supplement the meal with a bagged salad or frozen veggies. Minimal work but boosts the nutrients.
2) Customize your order. (Bonus: you won't get the dirty looks from the waiter if you call it in.) "Steamed, with sauce on the side" is my regular catchphrase.
3) Tell them you don't want the bread, fried noodles or chips that are usually mindlessly eaten while waiting for your order in the restaurant - they'll be no waiting since the food will be ready to eat as soon as you get it home.
4) Box up leftovers as soon as everyone fills their plate. No need to leave it out, just tempts picking.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in my homebound eating situation. A survey from the Food Marketing Institute found that 28% of people with children aged zero to six orders in, takes out or drives through at least once a week compared to only 17% of parents with children aged seven to seventeen. Looks like it may get easier to get out in a few more years.

No comments: